This is our most ambitious road trip to date. We hope to drive to New Mexico and return to Seattle in 17 days. Today we completed the first leg of our journey.
We left Seattle on a cold, gloomy, gray morning; the weather followed us over the pass. The humidity was opressive, the sun was hiding behind roiling clouds. But the thunderstorm that was brewing hit Seattle - and not Cashmere... We were happy to step into the cool air-conditioned halls of the Pioneer Village museum in Cashmere. This small museum boasts an amazing collection of Native American artifacts. Outside one can walk among log structures dating back to 1870s- 1890s - there are 20 original buildings brought in from different locations in the Cashmere valley. There is a barber's shop, a Mission hotel, a school, a saloon - and a jail!
We also explored the Aplets and Cotlets factory - they offer free tours and samples - what's not to like? Friendly girls with fresh faces welcomed us to the factory. We saw the vats where candy is cooked, wooden trays they let the mass cool, and then a freezer where the candy must freeze to 45 degrees. In the next room the air was thick with starch and powdered sugar - the big flats of candy were cut and dipped in the sweet dust... next - packing , sorting, checking.. . and we bought a box, too!
From Cashmere we drove to Kennewick. We drove along Columbia river, crossed vast desert valleys, and entered into something that looked like one dull urban sprawl. Lots of highways, small homes, lots of grocery stores and Mexican restaurants, no visible urban planning. Tomorrow we want to explore Kennewick a little more - there should be a historic core somewhere...
I love these movies!
- The Fall, directed by Tarsem
- Amelie, directed by Jean-Pierre Jennet
- Lord of the Rings, directed by Peter Jackson
- Moulan Rouge, directed by Baz Luhrman
- Moonsoon Wedding, directed by Mira Nair
- Australia, directed by Baz Luhrman
- Despereately seeking Susan, directed by Susan Seidelman
- Miss Pettigrew lives for a day, directed by Bharat Nalluri
Favorite books and authors
- Boris Vassiliev, historical novels
- C.Cherryh, Morgaine Sagas
- Ch.Dickens, The Bleak House
- George Martin, The Chronicles of Ice and Fire
- Gregory Frost, Shadow Bridge novels
- Heinrich Mann, Henry the IV
- J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
- Jane Austin, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Emma
- Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time
- Sir Thomas Mallory, Le Mort D'Artur
- Ted Williams, Green Angel Tower
- Terry Goodkind, Magician's First Rule and the following books in this saga
- Thomas Mann, Joseph and his Brothers