Thursday, August 4, 2011
August 4, 2011 Benbow-San Francisco, 185 miles
We left our historic Benbow and headed down 101 towards San Francisco. We crossed the Mendocino County with its abundant vineries and made a stop at one of them, Jeriko. I was attracted by its Italian look the buildings, the olives and cypresses. It was as manicured as the vineries we saw in the south of Canada… with a touch of rusticity: several goats were grazing behind a fence.
Inside, it was cool, dim, and very pleasant. The most pleasant surprise was the girl at the counter who served us wine – her name was Lea and she was a Russian from Siberia!
We entered San Francisco through the famous Golden gate Bridge. It is majestic, if somewhat faded in color. From the bridge one views a breathtaking panorama of the great city, rising up the steep hills among green trees and crawling mists. Driving in Frisco required nerves of steel and experience with stops on uphill. Luckily, Seattleites have their share of steep hills, so that was not difficult, but parking!!! How do you even approach the hotel entrance!!! We made a full circle and finally I drove through the narrow mouth of the hotel plaza, as big as a tabletop, with half a dozen cars already unloading there. Thank God for valets!!! I am not going to drive here. Walking is a beneficial exercise!
I love these movies!
- The Fall, directed by Tarsem
- Amelie, directed by Jean-Pierre Jennet
- Lord of the Rings, directed by Peter Jackson
- Moulan Rouge, directed by Baz Luhrman
- Moonsoon Wedding, directed by Mira Nair
- Australia, directed by Baz Luhrman
- Despereately seeking Susan, directed by Susan Seidelman
- Miss Pettigrew lives for a day, directed by Bharat Nalluri
Favorite books and authors
- Boris Vassiliev, historical novels
- C.Cherryh, Morgaine Sagas
- Ch.Dickens, The Bleak House
- George Martin, The Chronicles of Ice and Fire
- Gregory Frost, Shadow Bridge novels
- Heinrich Mann, Henry the IV
- J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
- Jane Austin, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Emma
- Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time
- Sir Thomas Mallory, Le Mort D'Artur
- Ted Williams, Green Angel Tower
- Terry Goodkind, Magician's First Rule and the following books in this saga
- Thomas Mann, Joseph and his Brothers