Sunday, August 7, 2011
August 7, 2011 From San Francisco to Ashland, 350 miles
The day started with us searching in vain for breakfast: the elevator refused to take us to the 19th floor, and when we attempted the stairs – the door was locked. The only thing left for us to do was to question the concierge… Breakfast was moved downstairs!
We left gray wet San Francisco and soon were driving along I-80. About 50 miles away from the city on the bay the weather improved – the sun came out, and though the Sierra Nevada ranges were still hidden in the grey haze, it was hot! We just wallowed in the sunlight…
We made several stops on the way, especially after Redding, when we approached Mt. Shasta. What a powerful giant! From the south, it glimmers with pure white snow, from the north it is dryer, the slopes are gentler and greener.
By 5:30 we were in Ashland, and strolled its sun-lit streets… listened to Haydn on the green… and swam in the swimming pool.
I love these movies!
- The Fall, directed by Tarsem
- Amelie, directed by Jean-Pierre Jennet
- Lord of the Rings, directed by Peter Jackson
- Moulan Rouge, directed by Baz Luhrman
- Moonsoon Wedding, directed by Mira Nair
- Australia, directed by Baz Luhrman
- Despereately seeking Susan, directed by Susan Seidelman
- Miss Pettigrew lives for a day, directed by Bharat Nalluri
Favorite books and authors
- Boris Vassiliev, historical novels
- C.Cherryh, Morgaine Sagas
- Ch.Dickens, The Bleak House
- George Martin, The Chronicles of Ice and Fire
- Gregory Frost, Shadow Bridge novels
- Heinrich Mann, Henry the IV
- J.R.R.Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
- Jane Austin, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Emma
- Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time
- Sir Thomas Mallory, Le Mort D'Artur
- Ted Williams, Green Angel Tower
- Terry Goodkind, Magician's First Rule and the following books in this saga
- Thomas Mann, Joseph and his Brothers